View Single Post
Old 07-15-2002, 08:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jshorva65
Has anyone here ever heard of this set. I received this email yesterday and have never heard of the set that the writer is describing.

As I recall, the first rectangular color CRT was the 25AP22 circa 1967. Has anyone else heard of an earlier rectangular color CRT and, if so, why would RCA and so many others have continued to use round tubes well into the 1960's when there was a 22" rectangular tube available in 1956? The only explanation I can think of other than the possibility that the writer is incorrect about the year is that the 22EP22 was an experimental rectangular tube used in a field-test receiver that never made it into production because it was too far ahead of its time....

John,

Your collector friend is indeed correct. The 1957 issue of COLOR Television by Ziff Davis publishing, a form of buyer's guide with much, much more, shows a line up of 21" round color sets and the 22" rectangular Westinghouse color set. The mask shape is the common rounded corners, curved 4 sides employed on all large tube B&W rectangular sets through the mid 50's. BTW, I have seen this soft cover book, about the size of a magazine, show up on ebay occasionally and cannot recommend it more highly as a reference for early color collectors to own.

On page 14 there is the following paragraph, "The Westinghouse Corp. is presently preparing for the market a color television receiver with a 22-inch rectangular picture tube. The Westinghouse set promises to be competitive with those by the other manufacturers. Although the Allen B. DuMont Laboratories Inc. does not have any commercoial color television sets available for sale, it is intensively developing a set using the Lawrence-type single-gun Chromatic picture tube. This tube is described on page 68."

It is curious that both statements occur in the same paragraph as they do. I wonder if they are implying that the 22" Westinghouse developmental set employs the Lawrence tube. If so, this Westinghouse would be their other rare and sought after early color receiver to try to find.

Rob