View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 02:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

I know that KCOP channel 13 here in Los Angeles used GE color equipment. The station began broadcasting color film segments of their travel shows by Bill Burrud and others in 1962 and eventually had live color later. I know that they used GE's PE-250 cameras, but they might have also had the IO cameras initially.

There is a Petula Clark clip, supposedly from the Lloyd Thaxton dance show on YouTube (the clip with quad head banding), that has a moment when a camera intrudes on a scene from the left. The handles near the bottom of the camera look suspiciously like those on the PE-25. The Lloyd Thaxton show was done live on KCOP in the afternoons as I recall. KCOP had a really nice animated color announcement logo by the way.

Of course, the PE-250 was also used in ABC's Vine Street studio where they did the Joey Bishop late-night show and the Dating Game with Jim Lange.

The control room had a floor-to-ceiling window facing the main lobby. One afternoon they had a PE-250 in the shop next to the control room with its side open and scope probes hanging inside. No one was there. I guess they had gone on break. There were various manuals open and I remember seeing a vectorscope with the color-bar vectors just rolling unsynchronized on the display. It's funny what you remember after all those years.

The PE-250 was also used in New York on ABC's Dick Cavett Show.