View Single Post
Old 01-05-2024, 06:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Finding all the voltages on the sound board to be correct, I decided to examine the drawing and check component by component, every component in the audio stream. I noticed a notation on the drawing that said "Mute connection (where used)". Hmmmm. This stereo has remote control. It turns power off and on, changes volume in three steps, and changes the TV channels in one direction only. Apparently, it has a muting feature so the movement of the tuner is not heard in the audio (good old Magnavox!). Apparently, that switch had shorted, killing the audio. I disconnected the RCA plug on the end of that wire and the audio came to life. I have adjustments to make, I have no idea what high voltage I have, no idea of cathode current, vertical is off, horizontal may be off a bit, too. This thing allegedly has "automatic fine tuning" so changing the fine tuning with the knob is made purposely difficult. I'll remove the channel knob to get to the fine tuning knob better to adjust it. I've made progress and am satisfied with the outcome so far. And, I've learned a lot.