View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 04:58 PM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

Alright, well, I'm back. Project isn't done, but I just wanted to update y'all.

I did go ahead and replace the grommets. It was a job in itself. The entire tuner machanism had to come apart, and I ended up having to completely desolder and remove both coils from the underside to access the holes. I took the opportunity to measure and reglue the plate, clean the inside of the coil forms with rubbing alcohol, and clean and regrease the mechanism. In fact, one of the rollers was seized - both are now rotating as expected.

So then I went ahead and replaced the filter capacitors which were giving off a hum. Had an opportunity to replace one of the paper caps while I was at it. Gave it a test, and everything works just fine. Pulled in stations where I expected them, no filter hum, so things are moving in the right direction. I've still got three more paper caps to replace. It also looks like someone replaced the silicone rectifier with a diode in the past. It's a professional job, done in the 60s by the look of the part, but there's no dropping resistor, so I'm planning on removing it and using a 1N4004. Then I've just got that dial string. Honestly, I may be willing to admit defeat and just pay someone local to do that one. There's a few shops within driving distance of where I live.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good bakelite adhesive? One of my knobs has a crack that has caused some splitting on the face. The shaft is fine, but I'd like to glue it and clamp it to get it looking better. Eventually I'll try to replace it, but I've had no luck finding a replacement.