Thread: Recent HMV haul
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 11:06 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane500skyliner View Post
The Rangemaster has a very similar front-cabinet design to the 1958 GE 21C2465. I know there were connections between AWA and RCA from 1956 onwards (for how long, I don't know). AWA used some RCA cabinet and chassis designs for their sets, as television only came about in 1956 here, and they didn't have the knowledge or experience at the time. I don't think HMV had any connections with RCA or any other American manufacturers at the time, though I may be wrong. There is very little information around for Australian televisions and manufacturers.

Chris
I was wondering about the use of the phrase "His Master's Voice" in connection with televisions not manufactured by RCA Victor; after all, that phrase was a copyrighted service mark for decades of the Radio Corporation of America. It may still be under copyright to Thomson, which now owns the rights to the RCA block-letter trademark which was used on RCA radios, televisions, etc. from 1968 to the present day.

I am by no means certain, but the original circular RCA trademark may still be under copyright as well. Trademark owners are very particular about how the symbols and/or phrases are used and by whom, especially in this day and age of intellectual property protection. RCA (NBC), as an example, has blocked the use of the call sign of its formerly-operated radio stations by any other AM or FM radio station in this country, which is why you will never hear any radio station in the 21st century and beyond signing its call letters as WNBC and/or WNBC-FM--even if the stations are affiliated with the current iteration of the NBC radio network. These call letters are the exclusive property of NBCUniversal, and they will do everything and anything in their power to protect their rights to them. I'm sure stations WABC-AM and WABC-FM (the latter now WPLJ-FM) have the same arrangement to protect those call signs from unauthorized use. WCBS-AM-FM and television are the only network stations in the New York City area that still use the same call sign on all three stations, although I am sure CBS has a copyright protecting those call signs from being used anywhere else, in case the stations should change callsigns for any reason.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.