View Single Post
Old 11-26-2015, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I don't get a newspaper at my place, either.
I look up the newspaper online and look at the "for sale" ads. There they have the estate sales and garage sales listed. There's also "Craigs List".
I look at the Community newspapers, that come free in the mail.
As you said, most garage sales are dissapointing. I, a lot of times, just drive by when all I see are clothes racks and bric-a-brac.
That's basically ALL there is at most of the garage sales in my area (most of the neighborhoods near me are neighborhoods that were built within the past 20 years) so there aren't much in the way of antiques like old radios or TVs.
My neighborhood that I live in is the oldest neighborhood in the area with my house being the oldest, dating back to the 1930s, whereas the rest of the houses in my neighborhood date back to the 1950s-1970s with one doublewide from the 1980s, then there's an old brick farmhouse from presumeably the 1850s that's just up the road from me that's mostly all original yet with some mortar patchwork done to one side of the house and a stickbuilt addition off the back that sits completely out of place amongst a whole "neighborhood" of 1950s-1970s vintage houses.
I believe that the surrounding land that all of those 1950s-1970s houses were built on around the 19th century farm house was all land that at one time was farmland that belonged to that old farmhouse originally but then the original family that owned that farm parceled off their land to some local buyers who then decided to build some homes around there but then left the old brick house up for history sake because it was probably a historical land mark by that time.
So in otherwords what I'm saying is that there's usually nothing of any value electronics wise or tools wise near me mostly just clothes or bric-a-brac and that's it, not even the goodwill or salvation army carries anything of any value anymore electronics or tools wise.

There were only 4 exceptions to that rule and that was when I had bought my old Magnavox console from goodwill for $6, and then I saw a trashed 1930s Trutone radio that goodwill wanted way too much for condsidering its trashed condition, and then I had found a pair of extremely rare Utah 3-way speakers at the Salvation Army near me for $3 which are a part of my Pioneer SX-1000TD receiver setup in my room and they definitely sound really nice considering they are 1960s vintage speakers (I got them because my Pioneer is from the 1960s as well so I figured why not have a pair of 1960s vintage speakers to go with it?) I had also found a pair of Bose made Interaudio speakers at another local thriftstore in the area for $10 which needed the woofer surrounds redone which I was able to redo myself but then the old CTS made phoenolic tweeters went bad due to the cones on them being pushed in (by the way CTS is based out of my hometown of Elkhart, Indiana and have been around for over 80 years in fact they also made the volume control pot in my 1932 vintage U.S. Gloritone Cathedral Radio that I'm currently in the middle of restoring which that radio was made down in Marion, indiana which is about 2 hours south of me, which is why they sourced CTS Parts because it was closer to source parts from some place in indiana than having to source parts from someplace like New York or Chicago.)

Also I heard back from the guy on Audio Karma and the Magnavox units he had were too new for what I needed, the ones he had were from an early 1960s Magnavox Console and what I need are parts from a late 1950s magnavox Console (from about 1956-1959 approximately.)

Last edited by Captainclock; 11-26-2015 at 08:09 PM.