View Single Post
Old 11-22-2015, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
A file can't be physically too large. It can have too course or too fine of cutting surface.
Your best bet is to get one 1/2"-1" wide by 6-10" long rectangular file with cutting grooves shallower and closer spaced than mechanical pencil lead on down.

Bring a penny or some small piece of metal and ask to try it out. You should get a feel for what you need based on how fast it grinds the sample metal down, how smooth it feels, and how smooth the metal is afterwards....If you have done business with the seller before perhaps you could borrow it from him.

As for how much to remove use the old knob shaft as a guide...Once you have removed almost enough gently try to fit the knob, if too snug remove a bit more, check fit, and repeat till you have it. It is hard to screw up if you pay attention.
All of this should not be hard for you to figure out.
Also make sure you know which way it's going to be installed, and at what position on the shaft's rotation the flat needs to be (so the knob pointer lines up)...That should not be hard for you to figure out.
OK, I'll keep that in mind when I go back there again (I'm currently working on an old Silvertone stereo suitcase record player for the owner of the flea market in question) and no I haven't done any business with the booth owner before and I've never actually seen him there before so I don't know if I would be able to borrow a file from him or not.

I did get an offer from someone on audio karma where they said that they had the guts from a similar console that they could get me the parts from so hopefully I could just get the control from him and maybe the knob from the turntable as well from him. Although the only problem is that I had sent him a private message on there, like he told me to, and I haven't heard back from him yet and this was on tuesday of this past week, so I don't know if he was maybe just too busy or something.