View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 07:04 PM
M is for Memory

I had to steal the tuner, fuse holder, and speaker transformer off the RA-103, but I was able to get the Stromberg Carlson to work again. I've decided to give the work I had to do to fix the Dumont tuner it's own thread so it can be found easier : http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?p=3154349

There is an issue with it wanting to display retrace bars if the picture is about at the right brightness setting to get good grayscale which is annoying. It also seems like focus changes with brightness which is annoying, but otherwise it works well...If someone told me I'd have a tube TV with channel 1, FM radio, weather band and aircraft radio tuning a few years ago I'd have said that I don't believe such a creature exists...

DSCN1301 by Tom Carlson, on Flickr
I'm torn on the Dumont RA-103 Doghouse. It needs all but one knob, a fixable tuner with the dial lamp bracket and clear dial scale, the fuse holder, power interlock, HV cage cover, a speaker transformer with plug or just the speaker plug (and I kludge in my own transformer), and god only knows if the mice ate any coils, or other such unobtanium. It's all there other wise but rusty, scratched, chewed on, it reeks of mice, and it's going to be much more of a pain to get it close to as good as the Stromberg is. I don't know if I should try to track the parts down (I'm sort of broke though) and fix it, sell it whole as a project, or part it out.

One wacky idea I had was to part out the Dumont and transfer over it's mask and CRT to the Stromberg Carlson's cabinet...My Stromberg is a 10" screen model, but they made 12" sets with the same cabinet and chassis so such a conversion would be easy....The only argument against it (aside from giving the Dumont a chance to live) is that I can't find any reference on the internet to another 10" Stromberg with the same cabinet as mine...There are tons of the 12" version out there, but my 10" set appears to be a rarity.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma