View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 06:42 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rye89 View Post
This may be a bit pricy but at least the stylii are cheap, but my favorite cart for mono is the GE VRII triple play. It has a turnover stylus for microgroove/78 much like the ceramic carts. I use mine on a Rek O Kut with a Japanese Gray 108 clone. This cart tracks at 4-6 grams for microgroove, 5+ for 78. output is somewhere around 10mv. Don't use it on stereo records as it has no vertical compliance.

You also might be able to grab a Pickering NP/AC/Stanton 400 for cheap. it specs similar to the GE but is stereo, and won't ruin stereo records.
+1

I use the earlier GE RPX-050. It's similar to the VRII. Tracks a bit heavier at 6 to 8 grams, and has a more rolled off high end which makes rough 78s sound a bit better.

The Pickering NP/AC is officially out of production and people are snapping them up for spares, I know I have. They'll track anything and do a decent job masking surface noise on poorer records.

I'd give the overall nod to the GE carts for sound quality, but the Pickering is cheaper. I bought my last NP/AC for $15.

One cart I've always wanted to try is the 78 only RPX-010 from '47 or '48. Tracks heavy but those GEs have a way of burying the scratches and pops...