View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 01:17 PM
David Thomas

I just bought a new GE top loader last year, and its a real piece of garbage. Not only does it not allow enough water for the rinse cycle, it doesn't allow enough for the wash, either. They can put tubs the sixe of Texas in them, but if the machine wont allow it to fill over half way, it isn't gonna work.

Plus, when washing a load of towels (or anything else heavy) it shuts down leaving everything soaking wet because the balancing system is so bad it can't run through the spin cycle. GE is too cheap to put a brake on the tub, so they lock the lid instead and make you wait several minutes before it will unlock.

I guess I'll just have to break down and spend the money for a Speed Queen if I want to get a decent machine. They're about the only ones left that make what is, truly, a heavy duty machine designed for commercial use. Maytag built the best top loaders in their Newton, Iowa plant until Whirlpool bought them out. The first thing Whirlpool done was close the plant, put the Maytag name on a Whirlpool machine and add $100 to the price tag. They knew people would pay more for a machine with the Maytag name on it (even though it was just a Whirlpool under the skin). Sad.