View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 05:43 PM
DTV blows

I've finally figured out precisely what I want. It's just a matter of finding it. I want one box that will do the following:
*Have an HDTV tuner that will receive digital signals. 480i will be fine.
*Record those HDTV signals without a broadcast flag onto rewriteable discs; in essence, a DVD based VCR
*Have a built-in RF modulator to play back the signal in analog NTSC on channel 4
*Cost less than $100
My family has three fine analog NTSC television sets. I cannot afford new ones, and a $40 tuner box will not help me one bit in timeshifting and archiving off-air programming unless the output is useable for standard VCRs, of which I have three also. I do not have cable TV, but a mast-mounted outdoor antenna that is also used for FM. I refuse to pay to watch television. I am also in no hurry whatsoever to pay for new television sets when the ones I have work just fine.

I gave up "appointment TV" back in 1989 when I got my first VCR. For me, the ability to record off-air is vital; if I can't do what I've been doing since then, I will be one very unhappy camper.

Simply put, if there are too many roadblocks in my path, I will indeed use my television sets for pre-recorded shows and nothing else. Most American television is garbage anyway, and I can get news, entertainment, and information from books, radio, newspapers, and the Internet.

Call me a Luddite if you want to, but ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

Last edited by OvenMaster; 06-25-2007 at 05:47 PM.