View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 01:17 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
It says right in my post that I had it shipped. When I did have my van, I could put several console sets in there. I would just move the stereo amp and sub out of the way. a minivan with the seats removed can haul as much as a pickup. I once hauled a Harley motorcycle in there lol. The set has been repaired and the CRT replaced, I plan on replacing the remaining old caps and whatever else I find to be suspect.
As I said in my post, your Motorola console TV looks great for being nearly fifty years old. I bet the picture is good as well, especially if the CRT was replaced (I wouldn't expect a 48-year-old CRT to be much good today, especially if it saw a lot of use by its former owners; did the original tube have a brightener?).

Also, if the set has been repaired, it should work almost as well as it did the day it was manufactured. It will be even better once you replace any questionable components, as would be expected.

Motorola made excellent TVs when they were still in this country (their main plant was in Chicago, if I remember correctly). My former stepmother, now deceased, had relatives (her folks) in West Virginia who owned a 19" Motorola portable b&w TV with a front panel that looked like yours; in fact, the front panel of your set reminded me of it.

BTW, I had no idea your van was that big, or that a minivan can haul every bit as much as a pickup truck if the seats are removed. When you said you once transported a motorcycle in that van, I was convinced the vehicle was big enough, and then some, to accomodate at least one console TV.

I didn't know you had moved, as your location was listed for some time as "in my beat-up green ford van..." with no indication of an actual city of residence. I was just curious as to your present location.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.