View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 11:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
I think the mirror is crucial to brightness.

Regarding noise, the reason for theaters having a projection booth was to put the nitrate film, which was essentially explosive if accidentally ignited, into a fireproof booth. 16 mm film was made on an acetate "safety" base. If you look at old television film facilities, there were only a few that could handle nitrate film (particularly the big three networks), hence most stations used 16mm copies only.

Another thing regarding noise: when video playback systems were introduced, one point used to sell them to school systems was the lack of projector noise in the classroom (along with ease of threading, no need to darken the room, etc. etc.).
I remember being in school during that transition period.. the films always had a great big sharp picture, and poor sound with lots of wow and flutter. The videos were limited by the size of TVs at the time.

It's funny how memory works, I'm so used to watching things via my digital projector, that I had totally forgot about how noisy a projector is. And it isn't the noise of the film advance mechanism which dominates with this projector, but more so the cooling fans. It's possible I could help things by changing the rubber motor mounts, but I think the majority of the noise is just airflow, and lots of it.

At school we had 70s vintage B&H, and EIKI projectors, and I certainly don't remember them being quite as loud.. that said, in my home theatre the projector ends up very close to the viewing location.

Good point about nitrate base film.