View Single Post
Old 12-26-2016, 06:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was factory trained by RCA, Panasonic and several other brands starting in 1978 for like twenty years. I knew the VFT650 like that back of my hand. I'm pretty sure your symptom was a dirty mode switch which I'm sure was a 4 position slide switch which would need cleaning and lube with contact lubricant. In the beginning years, RCA VCR's were Matsushita chassis (Panasonic's parent company) then later Hitachi. As someone said on here, moving a cylinder ass'y to another VCR will require a multitude of adjustments. You would be better off trying to find the mode switch and clean it. The mode switch also had a critical alignment by sliding it when the mounting screw was loosened. Before removing it to clean, etch the chassis metal to mark where it was. If not, it's very hard to get it back in alignment. As far as the seized cylinder motor, you could remove the head and try feeding a drop of fine oil down the shaft where the bearing would be and on the underside as well since you removed it. Be very careful with a video head that has been removed. Those tiny heads are actually on a glass substrate and will shatter !! Larry G
Audiokarma