View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 07:34 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

The little Sony- I could ALMOST pick it up w/ONE hand after I got it. There was a family of Girls who lived up the street from me. There was one my age, the older ones sorta had "Guard Dog" duty over the rest of us. My Dad had the guys at his plant make up for me a ginormous chest that had double doors on the front. I'd wake up real early, & would grab the Sony get in the Chest, & see what stations I could pick up w/just "Rabbit Ears". Nothing really great, the best I could do, generally, was WSPA in Spartanburg, South Carolina. The BEST TV dxing I ever did was in the 80s-Me & a bud loved "Hill Street Blues" & "St Elsewhere", I hada JVC CX-500 4.5" color set,AM/FM, & cassette, we'd load up the JVC, some "Adult Beverages" for Us, head up to the City Dump, which was at the top of this mountain/big hill. You could get all kinds of stations up there, lots of 'em that weren't on the CATV system. You generally had yr choice of 2 or 3network feed stations, a gaggle of PBS stuff,& new UHF stations that were just then making their debuts...Weirdest thing was one night we went up there,& there was one mountain ridge that was ALL lit up-Kinda freaky. I went by the police station & they told me it was part of the DEW line-Something to do w/ the Air Force. Drat ! I was hoping I'd just seen the next "Area 51" or something.