Thread: CTC5 Pickup!
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2024, 03:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamaya42 View Post
This is the point where an oscilloscope would be extremely advantageous to finding such a problem.

Looking for the correct signal starting at the color takeoff coil (L36) and seeing if W23 is correct or not, (taken with color rainbow input), then onward to W24 at the color control, (bandpass 1 out), and next W25, (bandpass 2 out).

This should give some idea as where you are losing color.
L39 primary was open. I removed the transformer ungracefully(I'll have to hot glue it back in place.. oops) and saw the issue. It is carrying plate voltage for the second bandpass amp. With such fine hair RCA used as wire it vaporized at some point in time. I should have asked my wife for a magnifying glass but I searched and saw the tiniest smidge of wire coming out of the transformer. I really had no hope of saving this transformer so I just went all out with solder and a 1 piece of copper wire. Melted the heck out of where I suspected the lead to be and after a half dozen tries I now get continuity through the primary. 8ohms just like the good book said it should be. Will it hold up? Doubtful but I tried.

Guess I'll get it back in and see what happens...

Where can I get a backup transformer? Only an RCA part number 102259, no one else made a replacement.

--
Matt Davala
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Melty.jpg (100.7 KB, 26 views)