View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 02:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have an identical set in appearance, with the exception of the U.H.F. tuner. Also, my chassis must be some other run as what I see around the HV area is configured differently. If I was home I could give my chassis number, but probably not important. My efficiency coil was the first problem I noticed when I got mine and a replacement was almost impossible to find. I finally did get one and was advised to open the cathode of the H.O. tube and insert an ammeter to monitor cathode current and set that coil to something like 200mV. in order to NOT burn up the flyback.
That was a few years back. I wound up having to run the set on a variac at a slightly reduced voltage in order to keep the cathode current where it should be. Probably just leaky caps in the H.O. circuitry. Other than that, the set played well enough and produced a decent enough color picture needing what looks like some dynamic convergence work, which I have never done myself. Frankly, and sadly the set has been put to the side due to the introduction of a woman in the home. LOL! Together we simply just had too much stuff & it was/is in the kitchen surrounded by stuff. No way to pull the chassis and change the caps. Now I actually have my room back, but thus far have no plan of restoration. I’ve regressed back to radio interests and vintage test equipment. Smaller and easier. I may wind up letting it go.
This set Banderson got looks like a very nice set, and although most of the posts here seem to be about RCA sets, these Zeniths are supposedly better built and more reliable. Good luck with the set and don’t burn that flyback!