View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 09:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another little update, and a question. I'm down to just a handful of Black Beauties to replace. In between that I've been trying to troubleshoot the HV issue. Right now I'm only getting about 5kv, and that's with the HO being driven with a substitution box. I need to figure the disconnect between horiz osc and horiz output. Tonight after replacing an out-of-spec 5w resistor I powered it up and noticed one of the 3A2's was faintly glowing red pointing to a bad doorknob cap which I know others have had trouble with. (the set has 4 of 'em) That particular one is 1000mmf at 15kv. The closest I had on hand was 500mmf so I threw it in there and was rewarded with the sound of some sharp crackles but no red plate...and no change in HV. I'll keep digging, and learning (which is a lot of what this is all about). My questions: how close in capacitance rating do I need to be for this application, percentage wise? And, I've seen some 1000uf 15kv disc caps that were a lot less expensive. Would they work in this application?