View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 12:24 PM
<----Zenith C845

I found a listing for a Wilcox-Gay 6B10 on eBay in Maryland, although such units are obsolete; the one listed may have been found in an estate or some such. If you can get this one it may have the record cutting head you need to fix yours, although I don't know what you would use the record cutter for these days since the blank discs aren't available any longer, among other things.

I estimate these record cutters became obsolete when magnetic tape recorders became popular in the 1950s. The only real advantage to restoring a unit this old is for the experience and the satisfaction of bringing a very old piece of entertainment gear back to life...well, almost. As I said, blank recording discs haven't been available since shortly after tape recorders became popular, so even if you did get the record cutter in your WG combo to work, you would have no way to test it except, of course, to see that the recording stylus moves with any kind of audio input from the radio or a microphone. If the radio works, you can restore that, but again, don't expect miracles with any restoration efforts involving the record cutter. As I mentioned, these are almost hopelessly obsolete and are of little use except as curiosities or as museum pieces.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.