View Single Post
Old 10-24-2018, 04:27 PM
Bob Galanter

Another K840CK15 Westinghouse restoration

I was recently contacted by an owner of a 15" Westy about restoring his set. Last week he drove from Canada to Milwaukee with the chassis.

The set has been in the hands of a "restorrer" in Canada for about a year and that tech was not able to get the set operational.

Upon inspection I found sub standard work which will have to be completely re-done and inspected for mistakes. All replacement caps and resistors were pigtailed to the old component leads. NOT up to my high standards.

The major issue is an un-obtanium 50 meg congergence pot which according to the former tech, is open. I am trying to get hold of the old part to see if anything can be done with the old one.

So now the big question and I know this is a long shot; DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW OF A 15" WESTY PARTS DONOR CHASSIS THAT MIGHT HAVE A GOOD 50 MEG CONVERGENCE POT?

AND NOW FOR THE BEST PART.................................

The interesting aspect of this set is that it has a blonde cabinet in very fine condition, AND IT IS COMPLETE WITH A NOS 15GP22!!! The 15G has huge silver getters and when I tested it, and all 3 guns came up to 95 or better on the Beltron in less than 15 seconds. And whats more..... after a 10 minute warm up at 6.3V I did a life test and all 3 guns hung for 35 seconds or better, the strongest tube I have ever tested.

It appears that the original owner purchased a spare 15G for use and had it squirreled away for future use and it was never installed. CRT that was in the set had gone gassy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8377.jpg (102.9 KB, 104 views)

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com