View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 02:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
Lacking a meter, at least get #44 bulb to dip the K current. Is there a RS store near you?
The dip point is very sharp, and if the coil is off dip, the current can be dangerously high and you'd never know it, even if the tube isn't red plating yet.
You're right about letting moisture cook off to see if the hiss goes away. But get the K current dipped first.
I did it. I ran the two wires and connected my Simpson meter. At first the current was about 210 or even more. I was surprised at how much I turned the slug to get what I consider to be a small reaction, but I was able to get it down to about 200.

What I battle now (maybe moisture related) is some corona arching, or really more of a hissing. You can see it inside of the rectifier. This gives an interference of course on the picture which by the way is stable and linear. Sound is good. Just missing color now and the hissing. I have more than once been tweaking the efficiency coil or the HV adj and made the hissing go away, but it comes back every time.

My final concern is heat. I'm not used to color sets, and I don't know what is an acceptable amount of heat to have coming from the fly and the power transformer. In a perfect world they should stay cool, or cooler than other things like tubes. I kept shining a flashlight into the H.V. cage and looking at the fly for signs of melting wax or plastic. The metal around the cage was warm to the touch. I wish I had my laser temp gun from work! Now the power tranny was to me hotter than I prefer one to run, but then again I know these color sets pull a lot of current from the wall. I could put my hand on the power tranny, but after maybe 30 seconds it was getting a bit too warm. None of the lytic cans were warm at all, so that's good.

There was one of those brownish/reddish drop caps over in the horizontal section that to me felt slightly warm. I hope it was actually. Maybe it has something to do with my hissing. Oh, and there was one bumblebee in there. Need to get that out quick.