View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 07:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
Lacking a meter, at least get #44 bulb to dip the K current. Is there a RS store near you?
The dip point is very sharp, and if the coil is off dip, the current can be dangerously high and you'd never know it, even if the tube isn't red plating yet.
You're right about letting moisture cook off to see if the hiss goes away. But get the K current dipped first.
I agree 100% on getting that current right. My Simpson meter should do the job fine. Or if I chose to use a bulb, isn't a #44 a standard pilot lamp bulb for vintage radio and TV? I need a source for a few of them, but I never would have thought about Radio Shack. I wouldn't think anyone would know what a bulb is that works there frankly! LOL! Again, thanks for REAL words of wisdom and good advice. It would be easy for many to overlook such an issue, but since I have addressed a real issue with replacement of the broken coil (which was floppy like a slinky), I may as well do the job right.