View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 07:43 PM
EFSP

Jumped into acoustic phonographs in a big way!

Well, I'm not over here much, but this is one i Just had to share.

I've liked both the idea and style of acoustic phonographs since I was about 2, and have wanted each and every one I saw.

I never found a semicomplete working one in my price range. Then yesterday, after selling some things, I was at my local antique mall buying some records, and in a corner no one ever looks at (a lady that worked there for two years didn't know it existed), was a Brunswick Model T with the 3 way Ultona reproducer. It looked complete. I checked the price tag and it said $175. Cool. I might be able to swing that.

So I put a record on it, gave it 3 cranks, released the brake, and away it went. Speed was a bit warbly, but the speed control worked and the sound it made wasn't terrible. I only played about half a side to test, then let the motor wind down.

So I go home, did some research, and concluded I wanted to offer $125 for it, but didn't think I would have enough funds until Monday (I'm buying something else fun over the weekend).

I go back today to give it a closer inspection and ask how much interest there had been, and get answers I like. Then I was informed that it was 25% off. Hmmm....that's about $131, very close to what I wanted to offer. So I tell them I'm coming back for it Monday.

But it's gnawing at me. I call up a lady that's paying me for some transfers to see if I can be paid tomorrow (so I'll have money for my fun item), and she answers yes.

I went back and got it for $140 with tax. Took the reproducer and platter off, and loaded it into the Roadmaster Wagon with help from someone there.

Fortunately, my neighbors are moving today, and like me. So I enlist their help in getting it up the stairs (and I helped them move a dresser).

Haven't reassembled it yet, but here are some pics. Yes, that is gaffers tape holding up the back hatch of the Roadmaster.

I sort of want to put different fabric on the horn cover, and I need to get some more needles.