View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I started 1st grade in September, 1983 and my school still had several of those 23" tube type RCA Mural TV's with all the jacks on the back. All program material was on U-Matic videotapes (machines were Sony). They finally got a VHS machine in '87 and we thought we were big time! All of this equipment was housed on roll around metal carts. Then, around '89; all the rooms were outfitted with 20" Magnavox sets connected to an elaborate CCTV system. I think the Magnavox sets are still in use. BTW, we also had a bunch of those old tube type Califone record players. I talked to a friend of mine that works for the school district and all that stuff was trashed years ago, according to him. It's a shame that they'd rather throw good old stuff away instead of offering it to someone who would enjoy it.
I remember those Califone record players too. I started first grade in 1973 and back then, we still had the old Setchell-Carlson 21" B&W school TV sets. I also remember we used the old Bell & Howell 16mm movie projectors wiht the old films from Coronet, IIRC, you can download some of that old stuff at www.archive.org. When I got to juniour high about 1979 or so, we started to see VHS VCR's and the like. As to the old stuff, it is a shame it did get trashed. BTW, anyone remember filmstrips where you turned when you heard the "ding" from the record/cassette?