View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 07:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

I must have missed something here. I didn't know it was illegal to remove the Macrovision from a source video for viewing. When I owned a small production company, I contacted Macrovision about using the technology on our dvd's, and tapes. It was not illegal to remove Macrovision for viewing, at least that is what I gathered from our contacts with them, could have been totally wrong though since I am not a lawyer. It is however illegal to encode a tape or dvd with the Macrovision technology if you do not pay the yearly license fee (fee was based on the projected number of copies you would make) to them. Most importantly, and this has nothing to do with Macrovision, it is illegal to make a copy of any copyrighted work period. It has nothing to do with selling the copy or making money, etc, it is just illegal to make the copy. We actually caught a school making illegal copies once. Talk about an embaraced school principal. We didn't make a big deal out of it, but they did have to pay for the copies.

Bill R