Thread: Sentinel IU-358
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 11:16 PM
RCA 741PCS

Sentinel IU-358

I'm not really into phonographs, but I couldn't pass up this Sentinel phonograph and AM radio. The owner said it had been in the family since 1952.
It's a fairly good match for my Sentinel TV from 1951. The difference being that the TV is made from Korina (AKA Limba) wood while the phonograph is Limed Oak.

The AM radio works fine. The phonograph can do 33, 45 and 78 RPM. It was playing when I picked it up and seemed to work OK.
Upon further inspection, the platter sticks sometimes, needs new felt and the tone arm doesn't return all the way to the right. Any suggestions ?

The AM radio has a nice vernier tuning knob. I wonder if those decals have darkened over time ?

I has the original back. The owner says it's never been removed, but I did find one RCA tube in the chassis. The rest are Sentinel branded. It has three nice speakers in there.

Here's the tube chart. I wonder if that's a date in the corner ? If so, it's really from '54 not '52.

Overall the only thing I'm not happy about is the speaker grille material. It's some sort of plastic mesh material. I like the white fuzzy cloth on the TV better.

Last edited by bandersen; 09-21-2010 at 01:44 AM.