View Single Post
Old 12-25-2011, 03:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I would be interested in hearing more about the Thorn 2000. I've always read that the Motorola Quasar was the world's first production solid state color TV, but American publications tend to ignore foreign accomplishments (particularly in the late 60's when the US was at the center of the universe).
The 2000 chassis was introduced in 1967 and was fully SS except for the CRT, the US set you are talking about had a glass rectifier valve.

The 2000 had development problems when it came to the HV side if things, The best and newest transistors (from the US) were expensive at $15.00. a shot and in development thorn were blowing out many hundreds a day - until the got the circuits perfected! It was a very popular set at the launch, so-so picture but a world beater (according to the press of the time).

I will try to dig out some of the original paperwork and publish it, but this interesting site gives an insight to the Thorn 2000 chassis and all the different models produced. Plus some of the other makers sets of that period.http://www.oldtechnology.net/colour.html