View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 04:08 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
The CRT should be easy to find, if the original is dead (no emission? Open filaments?).
It's got next to no emission, even at 8 volts. I just got 3 electron gun assemblies in the mail though and I'm heading to the ETF next week tube in hand...

Quote:
I had no idea, until I read dieseljeep's post, that Sarkes-Tarzian television tuners were cheap ones. I was under the impression for years that S-T was one of the better makes of tuners. What made them "cheap"? Flimsy designs with cheap plastic parts, underrated components that failed after only a very short time, or . . . ? I can see such tuners being used in cheap 1970s-'90s pre-DTV portables, but good grief, not in high-end sets. After all, I am sure Zenith and other well-known TV manufacturers would not have been caught dead using cheap tuners (or other cheap parts) in their TVs in the '50s.
Can't comment on the quality of the tuner, I'm not a tuner buff. It seems to click solidly when I turn it though, so they at least made the detents decent. lol I suppose we'll find out just how good it is soon enough, I'll probably have to do a full alignment on it when I get the chassis recapped. This one has UHF built in, nice feature for a prototype set to have in 1954.