View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
This "fad" has been brought on by them evil "American Pickers"

In 2007,I saw a used lighted outdoor Philips-ECG sign sell at a live auction for $420, plus the premium. The buyer was a dealer - I let him know that it a) wasn't old, and b) where to find two more for free - he would have to take them down is all. His response was "Sorry you lost the bid." I let him know I wasn't bidding and that he just lost out on the free signs. He went on to tell me that he knew "Philips wasn't in business anymore." I walked away...

The sign took a round on fleabay at 800 bucks in 2008, with no sale. Dummy never even cleaned out the dead bugs inside.

I tell ya, it's them evil "Pickers"

The wealth of ignorance out there when it comes to antiques and collectables is staggering.
I went to an estate sale several months back where there was the top half of a philco predicta tandem,just the screen part and the lens had a small hairline crack in the top corner.
I figured I would ask how much it was anyway and was told $1000 and that it was worth about $1,500 on eBay "we checked" and if I came back on Sunday it would be half price!
Who knows maybe that auction guy bought that too!

Heck right now on eBay there's a guy with a "vintage" 1988 Goldstar tv for $250! Guess we better start saving all those too! If we can get them for $10 each in thrift stores and flip them for big bucks on eBay we can all retire early and buy yachts!

Last edited by GeorgeJetson; 02-02-2011 at 03:46 AM.