View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 04:23 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh4683 View Post
Very interesting, so you had a set from January, 1970 with Insta-matic? I never saw or heard of one that early. Not trying to say no such thing existed. I got my info about December, 1970 being the announcement date for Insta-Matic per a 1970 Motorola annual report.

(seen here on page 11: https://www.motorolasolutions.com/co...-5p48mb-28.pdf )
Insta-matic tuning on the Quasar II, yes - ours was a TS-915, original Quasar, same as yours. On the Quasar II, the insta-matic multi-pole switch was a real PITA. The switch would get dirty and cause problems in either position. On the '915, it was just a DPDT push-push switch that switched in /out a small "daughter" board mounted on the C panel - no presets, just factory selected values that resulted in the best color picture. Same size button as the power switch, with "Insta-matic in white or silver against the bronze background. The only Motorola logo was right above the UHF preset buttons, with the Quasar name. I watched many a Saturday morning cartoon on that set, and we watched the POW homecomings (big here because of Jeremiah Denton) and even the Nixon resignation on it as well. We also had a 16" Motorola B/W portable, and a RCA sportable that rarely saw service - I can remember watching it only once, when I was home with severe Poison Ivy the first three days of 4th grade.

Heck, if I can find the LP, you can have it - I'm not a Galvinite, although Motorola Semiconductor products were the best among the US makers. I'm more into RCA, GE and Sony - brands we saw tons of, other than Magnavox, Philco and Sears(warwick - Sanyo and Toshibas were A-ok), brands that never impressed me.

If you need any panels, I can also see what dad kept - I remember seeing an F panel in a PTS box recently.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!