View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 11:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
This is just an idea I had after reading that you only used your ham license for two years or so before going back to online communications in chat rooms, etc.; you can use it or ignore it, of course, as you see fit. I mentioned Echolink because you said you are a computer person and don't seem to care much for the RF aspects of ham radio. EL does use RF links (transceivers connected through an interface board to the Echolink software), but they are behind the scenes, being used as "nodes" to link Echolink-enabled computers to the HF bands.

I am not trying to twist your arm and tell you to get back on the air; it is your choice. It's just that, liking the hobby as much as I do and as involved in it as I am, I hate reading or hearing about licensed amateurs who give up on the hobby after only a short time. I've had a license for nearly 38 years and am still active, both on 2 meters with the local radio club and on HF with Echolink.

Out of sheer curiosity, I looked up your callsign on HamCall.net a few minutes ago. Your license expired 56 days ago (from the date of this post, May 24, 2010), but you can still renew it as it is within the 2-year grace period. Again, I am not telling you to do anything; it is entirely up to you whether or not you renew your ticket, but I just thought I'd let you know that as of 56 days ago, you are no longer licensed. However, I wouldn't wait too long to renew. Two years can go by awfully quickly, and once the grace period expires, you will need to retake the written test (there is no longer a Morse code requirement for US amateur radio licenses).

Don't feel too bad, you're not the first person to try twisting my arm to get back into it. Now more than ever actually, as I have a couple coworkers who are licensed... and given that I work at a TV station and we host the local club's repeater on our tower. There are lots of reasons why I should do it. Also, I have a large enough back yard to put up an aerial. My place is no stranger to antennas, as I've got VHF and UHF tv antennas on the roof, and a big C-band dish in the back yard... so a 40' Rohn tower wouldn't be too out of place.

Yea I do know about the License expiring. A couple months ago I tried to renew it but there was some odd issue with the renewal website. It shuts down after a certain time in the evenings so I kinda forgot about it. I'll look back into that before time runs out.

I think my main problem though, is that I have way too many hobbies. I just don't think I'd have time for it unless I thinned out a few of my other interests.
Audiokarma