View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 03:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

In Praise of Wooden Knobs

This post is about a mundane repair. I'm showing it here only because I found the outcome to be esthetically pleasing.
Horizontal Hold coil was controlled with a plastic rod attached with a metal tube. The coil-end attachment was loose and wobbly. When I was removing the HV cage I bumped it and it snapped off, flew into the air, it and I never found it. So I decided to replace it. with a long nylon alignment tool that would work perfectly. But...

...this cartoon inspired me to use wood (The Idaho Forests Products Commission points out that wood is an environmentally friendly, renewable resource).

I had to cut the metal attachment. Readers from my generation will recognize the classic Tinker Toy construction.

Finally, the hole did not align with the coil. The rod was flexible enough to reach the original hole, but it wouldn't turn freely, so I made a new hole.

Ta-dah!

***I previously asked about the purpose of a short beaded chain attached to the HV cage. As it turns out, the end chain was broken but was originally to chassis. I think the purpose was to prevent a repair technician from forgetting to put the cage back.***