View Single Post
Old 09-18-2016, 07:24 AM
Old TVs are better!

Sounds like something you might have accidentally shorted something in the process of taking things apart and caused a short, blowing a fuse in the power supply. Also check the power supply for bad caps. However I vote for a bad mode switch. I've changed lots of these back when VCRs were popular as they caused lots of problems in many different models. I remember replacing the exact type of mode switch exactly like yours many times. Cleaning sometimes brings them back to operation. I doubt if it's the end of tape sensors as usually what happens is that it starts to play then stops and goes into rewind. Also counter belt. If counter doesn't run, it tells the processor that the tape isn't being taken up and causes it to stop. All of the suggestions above are possible reasons as to why the tape plays for a bit and stops. Sometimes VCRs are a nightmare to fix, and with so many out there, picking one up that works for cheap or even free might be an option. I think I have 3 of them here, that work, and didn't pay anything for them. I also have an old RCA piano key type VCR with only up to 4 hour mode, (one of the very early ones made by Panasonic) that if I ever get a chance to work on it, it want to fix it up just for nostalgia's sake.