View Single Post
Old 07-29-2017, 06:22 PM
David Thomas

22 watts is pretty good for that rig, so the final and associated circuitry is likely in great shape. You should be able to hear the FM repeater decently with a little careful tuning. If I move my 22'er off frequency a little bit, the FM repeaters locally sound pretty good. The AM circuit in the Clegg acts kind of like a slope detector.

Wish we lived close enough to have a QSO on 2 meter AM. I talked to a guy across town on 6 meter AM every week, and we tried 2 meters but I couldn't hear him. He could hear me, but way down in the noise. I was using a J-pole mounted on the roof. I should probably invest in a 2 meter antenna with a little gain, or just break down and build a loop and go horizontal for AM.

If you find someone locally with 2 meter AM capability, you should be good to go with your Gonset. My 22'er only puts out about 10 watts compared to your Gonset screaming out with over 20 watts.

By the way, 6 meters was open Thursday evening and I worked a dozen or more stations up your way. I fired up my Gonset G50, and had a pretty good QSO with N2BE in New Jersey on 50.4 AM. He was using a restored Lafayette HA460. I was pushing 27 watts to a home brew loop, and he was pushing 10 watts to a 3-element beam on a 20 foot pole. Not too shabby for tube gear on AM