View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 01:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

I got the set home this evening, and retested the CRT. A little low on emissions at first, but after cooking with 8 volts on the filament for 10 minutes or so, it's looking pretty decent (see first picture). They apparently didn't run this set enough to kill the CRT at the Green Cat. Having heard that there were memories of watching this set still working in the 1960s, I thought there was a pretty good chance the CRT was alive.

The remaining pictures are self-explanatory. There are two chassis in this set -- one main chassis and the high voltage subchassis.

The dial is quite interesting, with a spiral pattern for the Inductuner. There is a shrouded lamp behind the dial that moves up and down on an elevator mechanism to illuminate just the correct part of the spiral for the particular revolution of the dial that is currently active. That's quite a bit different than the dial on the RA-103. Also interesting to note that even though this is a very early set (1946 or 1947), it does not show Channel 1, even though it tunes down to 48 MHz (all Inductuners were that way, even into the 1950s). This dial might have been replaced at some point, since I found a small piece of what may be a broken dial in the cabinet. So maybe the dial is newer than the set.

And a little more to come...