Thread: CB Anyone?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 11:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

CB is the only radio system I actively use and experiment on. Screw the regulations. It's so dead out here now that you can do whatever you want on a channel other than 19 and 9 (every once and a while you get chatter from trucks going down the highway so it's best to keep those channels clear) and nobody will ever notice or care. I run a Realistic base station here in the house but as of yet I have been unable to find a way to build the 20' supporting column for the 3/4 wave antenna so my range is limited to two or three kilometers from the house with a craptacular car antenna fitted. I'm sure when the 3/4 wave is up I can get coverage over the entire valley.

On the car there's another Realistic built into the center console and a 12' whip on the back.

I've tried a number of things that technically you shouldn't be doing like RTTY, SSTV and low baud packet. It's all basically useless out here unless your base station has a proper antenna.
Just don't tell anyone I'm doing this, 'kay?

Back when I lived in Vancouver when the weather was just right you could park at the top of the hill in Queen Elizabeth Park and you could got skip from as far away as Alabama. Never understood their love for using channels 6 and 11. It was always a mess of overlapping conversations.

Last edited by MIPS; 07-25-2014 at 11:40 AM.