Thread: RCA Flybacks
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 09:15 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
if you want to try, you can find off brand flybacks (not listed above) that can be subbed. Its not easy but can be done. As an example I transplanted an entire fly tire for a Magnavox to a Sylvania. They were both RCA clones, but the Magnavox mounts the fly on the left side of the chassis (view from rear). It was still a clone circuit wise. The Sylvania was more I direct clone, both of the CTC-15 circuit.

If you review the schematics you can look for circuits that are basicly the same.

Funny thing was before I did the Swap of the Maggie fly I used some odd ball Admiral IIRC tire. The set worked but was just a bit down on horz power (the sides would not quite fill out and the HV had no head room. I tried increasing the screen current but it was really just not enough plate load from the fly. It would work fine if I bumped the line up to about 128vac. the cathode current was about 150ma max so the tire ran stone cold. I even considered just leaving it that way just to not worry about flybacks. I still have that transplanted fly somewhere as a spare for any CTC-15. Oh I think the orig fly was for a 19" Admiral portable.
That's what I like about having the tire schematic - you can match the electrical characteristics, and hope the mechanical will follow. Years ago, I tried a Muntz color flyback tire on a CTC16 with mixed results - I had HV, but the rest of the windings were either out of phase or not quite right, leaving me with no color and poor AGC. The similarities among the early colors to RCAs helps - a Philco, Packard Bell, Olympic or other clone fly might work electrically - I've just never gone that far. I've got 11 RCA tube flybacks, all for different chassis, and just dreading the day I might have to use my spare flyback for my CTC16.

On a side note, Horizontal Efficiency coils, focus coils, and Chroma coils are another area I'm stocking up on spares. Still available, but a finite supply nonetheless....
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!