View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 02:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiseomatic View Post
Steve, I am trying to get the SAMS for this set and you have a very nice vintage TV site. Let me ask you, In your opinion, I seen the sets on your site and all look new. Would you recommend me have the cabinets on both my sets re-finished or just leave them as they are. All the cuts,scrapes and gouges or actually restore them to new condition? I don't mind them showing a little age but these are beyond that. I plan on them being on display at our new house or in "My room" as my wife calls it. She said that all my stuff like the TV's and my old Majestic are all going in one room. Kind of like a "Chill room". She has no problem with all these sets taking up room in the apt. we have for now,She even loves my 1984 Sears set I got. Says it reminds her of her childhood because her dad had a Zenith set that looks like it.

Thanks for the help guys.
Hey Chuck,

Every collector has his own thoughts on this. For instance. My CT-100 had been painted antique white by the previous owner. There was no question that I was going to strip that paint off and refinish the cabinet. My only other set, the CTC-5 is in original condition. Complete refinishing of a cabinet takes much patience, skill and experience. On the other hand, it is amazing what a good cleaning with quality furniture wax can do for old wood. And a polish up of the knobs & trim also help. You might start with some scratch remover in the appropriate color and perhaps some careful filling of gouges with a wood filler, sanding and stain. I'm no expert on this, but I'm sure there are others who may jump in with other suggestions. Your Hoffman is a rare find and you might want to keep it as original as possible. If you can get it up and running again, then try and get the cabinet cleaned up. Don't get to many projects going at once.

-Steve D.