View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 05:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Actually mine has a Rola speaker, but other than that it's exactly that chassis in the photo. That Rola name, besides the various tube names, are the only labeling anywhere on the chassis/components. The speaker looks like it was always with the set. I remember other collectors often identifying these generic chassis' by a plant number in Chicago. They likely churned these and similar chassis' out by the millions and were simply assembled with a generic cabinet by them or another company. The name molded on the bezel was likely of any stores choosing.
Over the years I've seen a lot of these low-cost 4-tube cathedrals and they usually share the same basic chassis and cabinets with other sets.
OK, well I guess there goes that theory. But either way its kind of impressive that your radio made it 75+ years later in that good of shape. By the way the name Auburn is actually the name of a town in Indiana where they made the Auburn, Cord and Dusenburg cars back when that radio was made, this is just a theory but possibly the Auburn Car company expanded into selling radios for a while, or possibly they gave away radios with their name on them as a promotional gift when you bought an Auburn car back in the 1930s? Just a guess.