View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 06:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenithDude88 View Post
That looks a lot like my cathedral radio I have which was made by the United States Radio and Television Company of Marion, Indiana, which was aptly called U.S. Gloritone on the front of the Brass Bezel, and mine dates from about 1931 as well. Mine however wasn't in mint condition and needs to be restored, the previous owner of the unit put his hand through the speaker and the grille cloth which I was already able to repair the speaker using unbleached coffee filter paper and diluted elmer's glue, but I still need to refinish the solid walnut cabinet and get some new grille cloth for the speaker. By the way, my radio has a Utah speaker in it which sounds really nice for how old it is.
After many years in the hobby I've seen a tremendous number of these 4-tube cathedrals produced with identical chassis' and very similiar cabinets. They usually have no labels or tags other than the name on the dial bezel. It would be interesting to know what companies assembled these sets and added all the unique names to them. One thing for sure, they do play very well with a strong signal and long antenna. Good luck with yours!