View Single Post
Old 06-22-2016, 09:01 PM
M is for Memory

Has there been any LW broadcasts recievable in the USA in the last 15 years?....All I can ever recall tuning on that band is atmospheric noise.

In Ill. I had some old tube SW radios (mostly AA5 and euro HiFi) and heard some stuff, but I was too young to remember what....Aside from getting a Texas station regularly, late at night waiting for local AM 780 to play it's midnight old time radio programs.

In Florida I got my first quality SW rig (ICF-SW7600GR) and I logged a whole bunch of shortwave stations CRI, Japan's english service, the BBC, enough Spanish speaking stations to get an idea what it must be like to use a radio well south of the border , an odd ball station out of Maine (the Planet IIRC), radio cuba (that is far from DX there), and a number of other stations. I was glued to that little set over most meals at restaurants, at home and sometimes on my bike....I used to go out late, away from homes for less noise, and come home to clip it to my long wire to get weak stations. Before the Sony There was one US station that played old time radio late at night that I would tune on a red Hallicrafters trans-Oceanic clone on it's original caps...I set it up with a cassette recorder on a timer to record it. I've eavesdropped a good number of Ham conversations too. Some of them were as far off as Ill. On AM I was able to get Ny. and Tn. I also was able to tune AM 780 out of Chicago at night once (comes in better up around Ga.). TV wise there was one great time, I had bought this white space age looking Sears SS table set...It was a hot DX set and conditions were good I got Tx., Tn. and some others UHF only had 1-2 blanks at most between channels with signal, and VHF was fairly packed too....I'll never forget that.

Those are the more interesting ones.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4