View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 08:55 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelson903 View Post
i believe it was put on the front of the crt to prevent small pieces glass from flying outside the tv set only , i have a zenith roundie with oil between the crt face and the safety glass ,no pva material .
Are you sure the whole thing is filled with oil? Have you ever tried to drain all of it, and is there a cataract forming? I've seen some normal tubes that were developing a cataract where the outer edge of the PVA was breaking down into an oily substance. I think you're mistaking this oily broken down PVA for an oil filling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
'Nuff said.

I recall your mentioning that before but didn't remember the name of the stuff, must make a note of it.
But is that glue feasible to remove for a future re-cataract removal? If that glue ever discolors or becomes hazy there needs to be a practical way to separate it without harming either piece of glass that it bonds.

One other argument for the caulk edge method: if the tube you did ever becomes weak or defective you may want to re-remove the safety glass and transfer it to a better tube with bad or missing glass....I have had this happen to me twice.

I've done 2 tubes that were dead before cataract fix and died a while after respectively...Their subsequent replacements had the safety glass ruined or missing, removing the glass from the de-cataracted duds by cutting the caulk was a convenient source of quality safety glass.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4