View Single Post
Old 05-20-2017, 02:43 AM
Living The Draper Ethos

Detrola 568 Restoration

I just got done restoring a 1945 Detrola 568 Radio. The model 568 was originally designed and built to fill a government contract for a "Morale" Radio for US troops involved in the invasion of mainland Japan (Operation Downfall) in WWII. The war ended before the production contract could be completed, leaving Detrola with thousands of metal cased AM/Shortwave radios painted in olive drab. Detrola decided to make lemonade out of lemons, cut the welded-on carry handles off, paint them hammer-tone silver, and sell them to desperate US consumers who hadn't been able to buy new radios since 1942.
This radio was purchased on ebay two weeks ago. on Monday evening I repainted the cabinet in original hammer-tone silver and recapped the chassis. I found a new Detrola decal to replace the one that had been lost to rust and abuse, it's in the mail and should be here soon.

Before Photo: