View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 12:40 PM
i <3 my Denon

Yeah...a lot of people have bashed them for being cheap; but I've also read some of the things people have said about the people bashing them...apparently there's an elistist attitude among a few hams the say way there is in audio; so some of the guys will poo-poo anything they don't own or is inherently cheap.

However, they've gotten great reviews and I've liked what I've read from people who own one. One guy claimed he got 40 miles on 8 watts with the included antenna; I'm not sure how much I want to believe that; but think it's entirely possible.

For $70, it's looking like a really good capable starter radio. I was shocked to find the antenna was flexible...dude bent it in a video and I actually cringed and was surpirsed to watch it flex back in to place.

I figured if I get one, I'll just construct a simple quarter-wave ground plane on a SO-239 like I did for my ADS-B antenna; get it as high as I can. Apparently the antenna uses SMA; and I've got some SMA adapters around from my SDR hardware.