View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 10:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134 View Post
I had a '66 HE portacolor which ran like new. I installed a NOS picture tube in it though since the original was dim. Also, the AA/AB/AC sets with the through-hole solder connections that everyone complains about? Well, I've had two of the 17" ones and a 13" one and they were all superb performers as foun on the curb, with extremely bright images and deep natural colors.
And again, my 19" PC chassis set from the mid eighties had a FANTASTIC picture, but I blew the h.o.t. while setting the width by slipping with a metallic adjustment screwdriver. Still have it for repair someplace.
I have in my collection a few SE/SF tube hybrid chassis too which usually work well but have a weak crt.
The only G.E. I could say was a real piece of garbage, that I owned, was a '71 all tube 18" color I picked up at one point. I could NOT get it working at all. The circuitboards were scorched from heat and basically disintegrating. Which chassis did that likely have?
IIRC, Your '66 Porta-color is an HB chassis, the first one of its kind. They originally had the course dot-pitch CRT, the 11SP22.
Those 18", early 70's sets, had the super-size horizontal output tube and the lead coated HV rectifier. I junked one that was branded Packard-Bell.