View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Not sure how I got here.

In Defense of Black Plastic Crafted tv's

In defense of BPC. My sister got a second BPC as you guys call them from Mr. Walton's mega legacy store and it developed a sound problem that was actually a mechanical problem. By the way this is the first tv I used the Internet to troubleshoot. Its a Sanyo DS25390 25" black plastic color tv. She said it buzzed, when I turned it on it took a while to buzz, but the on screen display waved back and forth. I said to myself thats a bad filter cap. I am already use to diagnosing car and lawn mower engine problems using the Internet. I tried it with this set since I did not have a schematic, and sure enough this set has a chronic bad cap C622 470uf 25V recommendations are to use 35V available at the Shack. I did replace the cap, (less than $2.00) and noticed that they must have used a really expensive glue to hold the convergence magnets and yoke on the neck of the tube. There was so little of this surely expensive glue that both had moved and the picture was really pretty poor in convergence. I took out my dot machine and focused the tube, did all the convergence and the set really has an outstanding picture now. I wonder if the magnets had moved in shipping to the store, or from her house to mine for the repairs (300 miles). I was also pretty amazed at the number of control items that are accessible via the on screen display once you enter the service mode. The PC board though is only about the size of one and a half 5” floppy disks. Well anyway I now have a different opinion of Black Plastic Crafted CRT television sets. Especially since they are going to be the last of the CRT televisions. I really like the picture on this set! And I did find a schematic, thats how I found all the settings to play with in service mode. The .pdf of the schematic is too big to upload but I bet you guys can find it online like I did using the model number.
Have a cool day guys...