View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 09:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ido View Post
I haven't seen any HDMI to composite converters, but I have seen HDMI to VGA converters. The VGA output could then be fed into a VGA to composite converter.

Though for the price of the 2 converters you could probably build something PC based.

If you're more interested in streaming/youtube than actual retail BluRay discs there are various media players that do online, local network streaming and playback from an internal/external hard disk that have composite outputs and are not crippled by copyright restrictions.

I've found the older Sony/Sharp/Panasonic BluRay players I played with to be incredible fussy about what files they will play and frustrating to use. Samsung was better, better still was a generic player sold under the Soniq brand. Though I never tried youtube/streaming on any of them.

You may also run into issues where older players will require firmware updates to play newer releases. If the update is available it may disable the composite/component outputs (I think this is now required as part of the BluRay license terms).
My research tends to be showing the same issues. So frustrating. Just want to be able to show some great old programming that is on youtube, but is too long (files would be too big) to burn to DVDs.