View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 08:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Westinghouse H886K21

Hey everyone,

I've come into a 1955 Westinghouse H886K21 which is my first tube TV set. I've done restoration and repair of tube radios and HiFi, but no TVs. Having watched many hours of YouTubers' TV restoration videos I felt foolhardy enough take this on.

I found it with a brightener (which I removed) and roughly 2 out of 3 tubes tested weak and a few with minor shorts. Before pulling the chassis I've first tried replacing tubes to see if I could at least get a baseline. Came up right away with full horizontal, some vertical but no visible image and after replacing a few tubes and working controls free, I was able to get sound, but still no image. There's a low level of constant static in the background of the audio, but otherwise it's full and has good volume so we know front end is functioning. I've also replaced the sync amp, the sync separator, AGC keying, vertical mult, vertical output and horizontal AFC tubes, which has yielded little change.

Here's a video of where it's at:

https://youtu.be/vGhXHNI5qdE

In the video, I'm first adjusting the brightness, then the vertical hold then the horizontal hold (clearly the control needs a good cleaning). Adjusting the rear sync, height, width, linearity, AGC controls affects the height (though never goes below the top half of the screen vertically) but still no solid picture.

As I haven't yet even pulled the chassis I'm obviously not expecting perfection as it's likely on a good amount of original components. I'm more inclined to want to troubleshoot to learn as much as I can, instead of just doing a wholesale/shotgun replacement of caps, etc.

So I guess I'm looking for some advice for where I might start, and next obvious steps to try to sort out my little vertical problem, first?

Thanks!

FK