View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 03:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Opened it up and the aquadag coating was completely in tact. There appears to be only one white .1uf 1000v ceramic-paper cap on the 410v boost source. The single electrolytic can runs stone cold so I wont be in any rush to replace it for now, good thing too cause it looks like a real pain to get to. Robert1 you're certainly right about the heat this thing gives off. Those compactrons give off a TON of heat. They even got too hot to touch in the brief time it took to test them! I'm currently running it with a small desk fan pointed at the vents and things are staying pretty cool now. I haven't replaced anything yet, but I have noticed that there is a large disk cap on the cathode of the damper tube that's bubbled up a lot. Could this be the source of the picture warp I'm experiencing?

Also, (not that it's important for any practical reason anymore) the UHF tuner appears to be stuck a little off from channel 66. Turning the tuner stem (still missing the knob) has no effect and it doesn't stop in either direction. Is that by design or is there a mechanical failure?

Gotta say, I'm still pretty impressed with this set. I know everything inside is really flimsy, but GE's goal for this model was to make it as light and compact as possible, after all. And they certainly succeeded, considering it weighs a mere 12lbs - about as much as my modern tabletop flatscreen tv of around the same size.
Audiokarma