Thread: Score !!
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
It's interesting to me that a receiver built only for WWV reception would need all those tubes. My Zenith Royal 1000, with 9 transistors, picks up WWV on its built-in antenna quite well, and I have had excellent reception of the station on tube-powered shortwave receivers having only five tubes. The set that got me hooked on amateur radio was my dad's 1936 Hallicrafters S-19R "Sky Buddy" receiver; it also received WWV very well from the Cleveland suburb in which I grew up, although it needed an outdoor antenna to get much of anything -- especially on band 4, 15 to, IIRC, 45 (!!!) MHz. Later I had a Heathkit GR-64, five tubes, that also got four of the five WWV stations very well (never could hear the 2.5 MHz transmitter, though). The point is that it isn't necessary to have dozens (!) of tubes in a radio just to receive one station, unless very high sensitivity and razor-sharp selectivity are required or needed.

BTW, I bet with all those tubes, your unit would overload like Heaven only knows what if it were in or near Boulder, Colorado, where the WWV stations are located. The NBS (NIST nowadays) operates five 1kW transmitters on as many frequencies (2.5, 5, 10, 15 and 20 MHz), so the signal will come in like gangbusters anywhere near the Denver area; they would probably drive any super-sensitive receiver like yours out of its electronic mind.

BTW (2): Until I read your post, I had never heard of any recent-vintage computer that would not support Microsoft Outlook, or, for that matter, that Craigslist will not operate properly under anything other than that platform. I would think if your computer is running anything newer than Windows 3.1 (i. e. Win95 up to Windows 7), it should be able to run Outlook and most other Microsoft software. From 1997 until late 1999, I had a Windows 95 system (my first Windows computer) that used all Microsoft software and would run everything then available for that operating system, including MS Outlook.
Jeff- This thing is "Hevi-Dooti"-It has a BFO circuit & COLLINS filters...I can't wait to take it to Terry's & get the caps straightened out, a good Lube Job/Cleaning, etc...This thing was made for people who HAD to have access to WWV, come Hell or high water...I'm guessin' it was $1500-2K Back in the Day...I just wish some Arsewhole HADN'T put a Sticker w/a UPC code on the front...Can't seem to get it off....